The Gallup Building renovation heralds the redevelopment of Washington, D.C.’s historic downtown district. The project artfully synchronizes historic and contemporary architecture and encompasses the 32,500 square foot, four-story Old Masonic Temple, a 130,000 SF addition, as well as several levels of below-grade parking. Completed in 1869, the Temple itself is an individually designated landmark of particular significance to the city and the redevelopment received Historic Preservation Tax Credits through review by the National Park Service.
Our design retains the Temple’s floor-to-floor heights, aligning them with an addition that extends in height to 120 feet. Four additional floors now tower above a central, 1,500SF glazed atrium, flanked to the south and west by the Temple’s original walls. The facade of the addition extends the retail base of the structure as well as its distinguishing muscular, horizontal banding. As the addition wraps the atrium and extends above the original structure, the building skin becomes increasingly abstract and transparent only to be capped by a metal interpretation of the Temple cornice.